Friday 8 June 2012

Weapon evolution

This my current weapon and off-hand:

 
My weapon evolution started with lucky drop of 999dps 1h weapon from Iskatu. By that time I was wearing two-handed axe with 1200+dps and was pretty happy about it, not looking for upgrade any soon. However with this drop I received a chance to experiment and I realized that 1000dps 1h weapon + 230dps off hand is actually better (and often more affordable) than 1300 2h. Main reasons are:

  • Off-hand damage scales with weapon attack speed. So if you have a dagger with 1.4 ias and off-hand with 230 damage (low+hi/2) then offhand will actually add 322 damage! Also, if you upgraded your dagger to something with 1.6 ias you are instantly getting +46 to the dps with the same off hand.
  • Besides damage, off-hand offers other very useful magic properties, like magic find or life regeneration
  • A lot of people hunting for big dps numbers on weapons, which means you can get an awesome deal on AH for weapon with lower dps but some extremely good stats on it compensating for the flat damage
Once I figured this out, I started checking 1h weapon market regularly and buy under-priced weapons that look better than mine (even if dps was lower) while selling previous one for more! This how my upgrades looked like in the past 4 days:
  1. dps: 999, ias: 1.2
  2. dps: 889, ias: 1.4, crit dmg: 58
  3. dps: 896, ias: 1.4, crit dmg: 47 (bonus +100 vitality)
  4. dps: 845, ias: 1.4, crit dmg: 65 (bonus +217 intelligence)
With each of upgrades above my dps was going up.

1 to 2: I made about 1M profit on this change and gained extra dps due to added ias and critical hit damage.

2 to 3: Very similar weapon, but extra vitality allowed me to swap some other gear to be more offensive (int instead of vit) which added to the total damage

3 to 4: Flat dps number is going down again, but 217 intelligence beat it!

As a result I have a comfortable Act 3 farming gear set with: 30K hp, 70K dmg (buffed), 124 mf and 19% movement speed. High movement comes at a cost of hp, if I swap pants and boots I lose it but get extra 8K hp and 30 mf with the same damage. It's very nice to have option to adapt your gear to the situation (since you can't swap skills without losing nephalem buff). In full MF gear with follower I'm at 231 mf (no nephalem stacks), which means with valor I'm at 306% magic find when soloing!!!

If only the would not nerf IAS in 1.0.3...

No comments:

Post a Comment